Creating a Garbage Mask
There's no limit to the number of garbage masks you can have in a composition. In fact, on some complex shots it's common to have multiple garbage masks isolating limbs, faces, hair, or different subjects in the scene.
- Press the Home key to make sure that the current-time indicator is at the beginning of the time ruler.
- Select the Pen tool in the Tools panel.
- Using the Pen tool, click to place vertices around the actor until you have enclosed her completely (see Figure 5). Double-click the last vertex.
- To make sure that your garbage mask isn't too tight, drag the current-time indicator across the time ruler and make sure the actor doesn't move out of the masked area. If she does, switch to the Selection tool and adjust the vertices.
- Choose File > Save to save your work.