Changing the Size of Graphic Elements
Flash gives you several ways to resize, or scale, graphic elements. You can scale selected elements interactively on the Stage. You can also set specific scale percentages or dimensions for your element in the Transform panel, the Property Inspector, and the Info panel.
To resize a graphic element interactively:
- In the Toolbar, select the free-transform tool (
Figure 3.47 The free-transform tool enables you to select and scale elements interactively.
- On the Stage, click the element you want to resize. Flash selects and highlights the element, and places transformation handles on all four sides and at the corners of the element's bounding box.
- In the Toolbar, choose the Scale modifier.
- Position the pointer over a handle. The pointer changes to a double-headed arrow, indicating the direction in which the element will grow or shrink as you pull or push on the handles.
- To resize the graphic element, do one of the following:
- To change the graphic element's width, click and drag one of the side handles.
- To change the element's height, click and drag the top or bottom handle.
- To change the size of the element proportionately, click and drag one of the corner handles.
Figure 3.48 Activating the free-transform tool's Scale modifier places a set of handles around a selected element. Click and drag the handles to change the size of the element.
You can also resize elements by using the Transform panel.
To access the Transform panel:
- If the Transform panel is not open, from the Window menu, choose Design Panels > Transform.
The Transform panel appears (
Figure 3.49 Choose Window > Design Panels > Transform (top) to access the Transform panel, where you can enter values for scaling, rotating, and skewing selected elements (bottom).
To resize an element by using the Transform panel:
- With the Transform panel open, on the Stage, select the element you want to resize. A value of 100% appears in the Width and Height fields of the Transform panel.
- To resize the element, do one of the following:
- To resize proportionately, check the Constrain check box next to the Width and Height fields and enter a new value in either field. A value less than 100% shrinks the element; a value greater than 100% enlarges the element. As you enter the value in one field, Flash automatically updates the other field. or
- To allow the aspect ratio to change, in the Transform panel, uncheck the Constrain check box; enter new percentages in the Scale Width field and Scale Height field.
- Press Enter. Flash resizes the element.