- How to Upload a File by Using the Flash FileReference Object
- Apr 28, 2006
- Flash has long lacked the ability to upload files, a standard function in programming languages. Kris Hadlock cheers the addition of the FileReference object in Flash 8; by combining a bit of ActionScript and PHP, it's now quite simple to create a Flash file-uploading GUI.
- How to Use Text in Flash 8
- Jan 13, 2006
- Text is an important part of most Web sites, particularly informational or commercial sites. In this lesson, you'll add and format the properties of many text fields in Flash. You'll learn how to add a Filter effect to a static text field. You'll also spell check the entire document before you finish the lesson. This lesson gives you a foundation in the way text and fonts work and a good basis for using increasingly complex methods of working with text and components.
- Interactivity in Flash
Derek Franklin, Brooks Patton
- Mar 23, 2001
- Three things are needed to make interactivity work in Flash. Learn what they are and how they apply to Flash in this article by Derick Franklin and Brooks Patton, authors of Flash!4 Creative Web Animation.
- Introducing ActionScript
Derek Franklin, Jobe Makar
- Jun 21, 2002
- Get ready to be introduced to your new best friend: ActionScript! This sample chapter will show you some compelling reasons for learning ActionScripting, as well as what makes it tick.
- Introducing ActionScript Objects
- Apr 11, 2003
- Take advantage of ActionScript's objects, and learn how to use objects' properties to manipulate data, colors, sound, dates, and more.
- Introducing Macromedia Fireworks 8
- Oct 14, 2005
- Fireworks 8 delivers a huge number of tools that allow you to work at your creative best when editing and manipulating graphics. Matthew David's rapid-fire overview will whet your appetite for this much-improved new version.
- Introduction to Flash Animation in InDesign CS5
- Dec 15, 2010
- Who says you need to work with Adobe Flash to create Flash content? Adobe InDesign CS5 adds a load of new features and panels that enable you to add interactivity to your documents. From motion, buttons, video, and more, Brian Wood shows how you can turn your InDesign documents into multimedia extravaganzas!
- Is Microsoft's Sparkle the New Flash?
- Nov 11, 2005
- Anyone who spends any time on the Web is familiar with Flash presentations. They're practically inescapable, they're usually fast, and they're easy to create. And now, they're in danger of being replaced—that is, if you’re buying what Microsoft has to sell you. Matthew David previews Microsoft's answer to the ubiquitous Flash: a new product whose beta name is "Sparkle."
- Macromedia Studio 8: Making All the Apps Play Nice
- Oct 6, 2005
- Matthew David discusses how the latest version of Macromedia Studio hones the individual Studio apps to help your Web team create a tightly integrated Web site, with a minimum of duplicated effort.
- Modify Simple Graphics in Flash MX 2004
- Oct 20, 2006
- Flash back to Macromedia Flash MX 2004 for a retro tutorial on how to modify simple graphics in Flash! If you're still using Macromedia Flash MX 2004, you'll want to sneak a peek at this sample chapter, which shows you how to use the selection, lasso, and subselection tools to select and modify graphics. You'll also learn about using the Property Inspector and other panels to modify elements' attributes.
- Modifying Simple Graphics in Flash MX, Part 1
- May 31, 2002
- Katherine Ulrich discusses using the arrow, lasso, and subselection tools to select and modify elements in Flash MX. She also teaches you how to use the Property Inspector and panels to modify elements' attributes.
- Modifying Simple Graphics in Flash MX, Part 2
- Jun 7, 2002
- In Part 2 of her sample chapter, Katherine Ulrich continues her discussion of tools and techniques for modifying graphics in Flash MX.
- Optimizing Your Flash 8 Workspace and Revealing Hidden Features
- Oct 28, 2005
- Looking for the hidden ways to make Flash 8 work for you? Robert Hoekman, Jr. reveals hidden features, demonstrates how to optimize your workspace, and offers tips galore.
- Positioning Flash CS4 Objects in 3D Space
Adobe Creative Team
- Sep 23, 2008
- What’s so cool about Flash CS4? You can now position and animate objects in real 3D space. The Adobe Creative Team demonstrates how to use the following special Flash tools for accurate 3D positioning: the 3D Rotation tool, the 3D Translation tool, and the Transform panel.
- Set Up a Basic Web Page in Dreamweaver MX 2004
J. Tarin Towers
- Sep 23, 2005
- Never built a Web page before? No problem. Author J. Tarin Towers walks you through creating a simple Web page in Dreamweaver MX 2004 that uses tables, links, images, and text. She also shows you how to adjust properties of a page, including the title and page background, as well as how to select and use colors in Dreamweaver.
- The Flash MX Game Design Plan: From Idea to Design
- Jan 10, 2003
- This sample chapter discusses one game-design process that can help you structure your ideas and build your game intelligently and efficiently. This simple design process will help you plan for every part of the game.
- Tools of the Trade: Flash meets Java with Transform SWF and JFlashPlayer
- Feb 17, 2006
- Perhaps some of your Java applications can benefit from supporting Flash. Jeff Friesen introduces two tools that support Flash in a Java context: Transform SWF and JFlashPlayer. Transform SWF is useful for creating new Flash movies and updating existing Flash movies. JFlashPlayer gives you the ability to integrate a Flash movie player into your software. In this article, you're introduced to three Java applications that show you how to use these nifty tools.
- Tweening in Flash
- Mar 23, 2001
- There are two drawbacks to frame-by-frame animation: First, it's labor intensive; second, it creates large files. Here Katherine Ulrich discusses the two ways Flash mitigates both problems with a process called tweening.
- Use Flash Behaviors and ActionScripting to Control Audio Playback
- Apr 14, 2006
- One of the great strength of Flash is its capability to consistently and reliably play audio across a wide variety of computer platforms and environments. According to James Gonzalez, this capability might be the best reason to use Flash for projects in which sound is an important component. Read on to learn how to use Flash sound behaviors and ActionScript to control audio playback in your Flash projects.
- Using Adobe Media Encoder in Flash Professional CC
Adobe Creative Team
- May 16, 2013
- You can convert your video files to the proper FLV or F4V format using Adobe Media Encoder, a stand-alone application that comes with Flash Professional. Adobe Media Encoder can convert single files or multiple files (known as batch processing) to make your workflow easier.