Sharing your work by e-mail
Now that you’ve edited and enhanced your photos, the final step in your workflow is to present them to your client, share them with your friends and family, or to display them for the world to see on a photo-sharing website or in your own interactive web gallery. In Lightroom, it takes only seconds to create a sophisticated photo book or slideshow, customize a print layout, publish your photos online, or generate a stylish interactive gallery ready to be uploaded directly to your web server from within Lightroom.
Lesson 7, “Creating a Photo Book,” Lesson 8, “Creating a Slideshow,” Lesson 9, “Printing Images,” and Lesson 10, “Publishing your Photos,” will provide much more detail on the many Lightroom tools and features that make it simple to create professional-looking presentations, layouts, and galleries to showcase your photos. In this exercise, you’ll learn how you can attach your finished images to an e-mail without leaving Lightroom.
- Press Ctrl+D / Command+D or choose Edit > Select None. In the Filmstrip, select the image DSC_3637.jpg, which you adjusted earlier in this lesson; then, Ctrl-click / Command-click to add the externally edited image DSC_7556-Edit to the selection.
- Choose File > Email Photos.
- Click Address to open your Lightroom address book; then, enter a contact name and e-mail address and click OK.
- In the Lightroom Address Book dialog box, you can specify as many recipients for your message as you wish. For now, select the entry for your new contact by clicking the check box, and then click OK.
- Now type a subject line for your e-mail.
- Choose from the image size and quality options in the Preset menu.
- If you intend to use your default e-mail application, you’re ready to click Send and add a text message in a standard e-mail window.
- If you’d prefer to connect directly to a web-based mail service, you need to set up an account. In the From menu, choose Go To Email Account Manager.
- In the Lightroom Email Account Manager dialog box, click the Add button at the lower left. In the New Account dialog box, enter your e-mail account name and choose your service provider; then, click OK.
- Enter your e-mail address and password under Credential Settings in the Lightroom Email Account Manager dialog box, and then click Validate.
- Click Done to close the Email Account Manager. Type a message in the text box above the thumbnails of your attached images, change the font, text size, and text color if you wish, and then click Send.
Lightroom detects the default e-mail application on your computer and opens a dialog box where you can set up the address, subject, and e-mail account for your message, and specify the size and quality for the attached images.
Lightroom uses your credential settings to verify your account online. In the Lightroom Email Account Manager dialog box, a green light indicates that your web-based e-mail account is now accessible by Lightroom.