Editing photos in the Organizer
You can fix a range of common image problems without even leaving the Organizer.
In the Media Browser, select the image DSCN0532.jpg. Click the Instant Fix button () at the right of the Taskbar to open the Photo Fix Options panel; then, click the Contrast button (). The edited file is grouped with the original in a version set. In the Media Browser, the edited version appears as the top image in the collapsed (or closed) version set. Click the arrow at the right of the image frame to expand the version set.
- In the expanded version set, select the unedited original, DSCN0532.jpg. Click the Color button (). Making sure that you select the original image each time, repeat the process for Levels (), and then for Smart Fix ().
Double-click the original image to see it in the single-image view. Use the left arrow key on your keyboard to compare the unedited photo with the results of your single-click adjustments. Double-click the enlarged image to return to the thumbnail view. Select all four edited versions; then, right-click/Control-click any of the selected thumbnails, and choose Delete Selected Items from Catalog.
- In the Confirm Deletion from Catalog dialog, click to activate the option Also Delete Selected Item(s) from the Hard Disk; then, click OK. You’ll work more with this photo later in the lesson.
Editing in Full Screen mode
In the Organizer’s Full Screen mode, you’ll find the same Instant Fix buttons as in the Quick Edit panel, enabling you to make substantial improvements to an image with just a click or two and assess the results at a conveniently high zoom level.
- In the Media Browser, select DSC_0006.jpg; then, choose View > Full Screen.
Hold the Ctrl/Command key, and press the plus key (+) on your keyboard to zoom in. Drag the magnified photo to view a different part of the image. Double-click the photo to fit it to the screen.
- Move the pointer to the upper-left edge of the screen to show the Quick Edit panel; then, click the Pin button at the upper right of the panel (circled in the illustration at the right), so that the Quick Edit panel stays open while you work.
- In the Quick Edit panel, hold the pointer over each instant fix button in turn to see a tool tip describing the effect it will have on the image. Click the Color button (), and then click the Contrast button ().
Click to disable the Pin button at the upper right of the Quick Edit panel, and then move the pointer away; the Quick Edit panel closes after a second or so.
You’ve improved this photo dramatically with just two clicks in the Quick Edit panel, without even leaving the Organizer.
- Press the Esc key, or click the Exit button (X) in the control bar to exit the Full Screen mode. In the Media Browser, expand the new version set; then, right-click/Control-click the edited image, DSC_0006_edited-1.jpg, and choose Delete from Catalog. In the Confirm Deletion from Catalog dialog box, activate the option Also Delete Selected Item(s) from the Hard Disk. Click OK. You’ll work more with this photo in the next exercise.