Adjusting lightness with the Dodge tool
You’ll use the Dodge tool to lighten the highlights and bring out the details of the curtains behind the window. The Dodge tool is based on a traditional photographer’s method of holding back light during an exposure to lighten an area of the image.
- In the toolbox, select the Dodge tool ().
In ImageReady, the Dodge tool is hidden under the Clone Stamp tool ().
- In the tool options bar, select the following settings:
- For Brush, select a fairly large feathered brush on the Brush pop-up palette, such as 27. Then, click outside the palette to close it.
- In the Range pop-up menu, select Highlights.
- For Exposure, type, scrub, or use the pop-up slider to enter 15%.
- Using vertical strokes, drag the Dodge tool over the window curtains to bring out the details and remove the dinginess from
You don’t always need to use vertical strokes with the Dodge tool, but they work well with this particular image. If you make a mistake or don’t like the results, choose Edit > Undo and try again until you are satisfied with the results.
- Choose File > Save.