Adjusting lightness with the Dodge tool
You’ll use the Dodge tool next to lighten the highlights and bring out the details of the sculpture in the image. The Dodge tool is based on a traditional photographer’s method of holding back light during an exposure to lighten an area of the image.
- In the toolbox, select the Dodge tool ().
- On the tool options bar, do the following:
- Select a fairly large, feathered brush, such as 27 pixels, from the Brush pop-up palette (click outside the palette to close it).
- Choose Range > Highlights.
- Set Exposure to 15%.
- Using vertical strokes, drag the Dodge tool over the sculpture to bring out the details and remove the dinginess.
You don’t always need to use vertical strokes with the Dodge tool, but they work well with this particular image. If you make a mistake or don’t like the results, choose Edit > Undo and try again until you are satisfied.
- Choose File > Save.