Developing with a Local Server
Developing with a local server has advantages and disadvantages. Benefits of developing locally include the following:
- Control and autonomy over your own computer: You never have to go through a server administrator.
- No need for an Internet or network connection throughout development.
- No lag time for logging in, authenticating, and transmitting data over a network.
The primary disadvantages to developing locally are the following:
- Running a server opens your computer to security risks, and the less you know about what you are doing, the more vulnerable you are to attacks, viruses, hacks, and worms.
- If you have a problem with configuration, or something is not working as expected, you are usually on your own.
If you decide to develop the Newland Tours site locally, then you must choose the server model you want to use and configure your system accordingly. Use the bolded headings below to select the directions that meet your needs. When you are finished, skip directly to the section later in the lesson entitled, Defining a Dynamic Site in Dreamweaver (All Users).