- Working with Flash Professional 8 Blends
- Jun 9, 2006
- New in Flash 8 Professional is a collection of image compositing effects called blending modes and image special effects called filters. James Gonzalez describes how the use of blending modes and filters can help you become king (or queen) of the blends and achieve sophisticated, eye-catching graphic effects with graphic content created within Flash.
- How to Upload a File by Using the Flash FileReference Object
- Apr 28, 2006
- Flash has long lacked the ability to upload files, a standard function in programming languages. Kris Hadlock cheers the addition of the FileReference object in Flash 8; by combining a bit of ActionScript and PHP, it's now quite simple to create a Flash file-uploading GUI.
- Working with Text in Macromedia Flash 8
- Apr 28, 2006
- Flash's text tool doesn't just create graphic-objects in the shape of letters, it creates text boxes filled with live type; in the authoring environment, the contents of a text box are fully editable. As you create text elements, you must decide how they will be used in the published movie and assign them a text-type property. In this chapter, you learn about using static text with Macromedia Flash 8.
- Use Flash Behaviors and ActionScripting to Control Audio Playback
- Apr 14, 2006
- One of the great strength of Flash is its capability to consistently and reliably play audio across a wide variety of computer platforms and environments. According to James Gonzalez, this capability might be the best reason to use Flash for projects in which sound is an important component. Read on to learn how to use Flash sound behaviors and ActionScript to control audio playback in your Flash projects.
- External Communications with Flash 8: How to Use the ExternalInterface
- Mar 24, 2006
- Kris Hadlock explores the use of the ExternalInterface class in Flash 8. With ExternalInterface, you can build robust object-oriented Flash applications that can be connected to the outside world and tied to databases and other server-side processes.
- Tools of the Trade: Flash meets Java with Transform SWF and JFlashPlayer
- Feb 17, 2006
- Perhaps some of your Java applications can benefit from supporting Flash. Jeff Friesen introduces two tools that support Flash in a Java context: Transform SWF and JFlashPlayer. Transform SWF is useful for creating new Flash movies and updating existing Flash movies. JFlashPlayer gives you the ability to integrate a Flash movie player into your software. In this article, you're introduced to three Java applications that show you how to use these nifty tools.
- How to Build Applications in Dreamweaver
- Jan 20, 2006
- Whether you're totally new to Dreamweaver or just creating dynamic Web applications with the program, this chapter will help you find your bearings. The first part explores the Dreamweaver workspace with an emphasis on its application-building capabilities. The rest of the chapter deals specifically with the basics of Web application tools that are standard in Dreamweaver. Everything from applying server behaviors to working in Live Data view is described.
- How to Use Text in Flash 8
- Jan 13, 2006
- Text is an important part of most Web sites, particularly informational or commercial sites. In this lesson, you'll add and format the properties of many text fields in Flash. You'll learn how to add a Filter effect to a static text field. You'll also spell check the entire document before you finish the lesson. This lesson gives you a foundation in the way text and fonts work and a good basis for using increasingly complex methods of working with text and components.
- Customize Dreamweaver Using Extensions
- Jan 6, 2006
- As a Web developer, you might want to write an extension for Dreamweaver to handle a commonly used, and therefore repetitive, task. Or, you might have a unique requirement that you can satisfy only by writing an extension for the specific situation. In both cases, Dreamweaver provides an extensive set of tools that you can use to add to or to customize its functionality. This sample chapter discusses a number of ways you can extend Dreamweaver to suit your Web development needs.
- Deprecated Items in ActionScript 2.0 and Some Suggested Alternatives
- Jan 6, 2006
- The evolution of ActionScript has deprecated many elements of the language. This section lists the deprecated items and suggests alternatives when available.
- A Beginner's Look At ActionScript
- Dec 9, 2005
- ActionScript 2.0 offers new features unavailable in the previous version. This chapter explains what ActionScript is, and how 2.0 allows for greater customization of behaviors and scripts for Macromedia Flash animations.
- Working with Layers in Fireworks 8
- Dec 1, 2005
- The Layers feature is a powerful tool that helps you manage and organize objects on your page. Layers are transparent planes where you can create and store objects. In this lesson, you will create a Web page and use layers to control the placement of objects on the page.
- Create a Banner in Flash 8
- Nov 23, 2005
- In part one of this tutorial, you learned how to create the basic layout of a banner ad. In this part, you will learn to create symbols, animation, and even write some simple ActionScript to make the banner function in this continuation tutorial.
- Is Microsoft's Sparkle the New Flash?
- Nov 11, 2005
- Anyone who spends any time on the Web is familiar with Flash presentations. They're practically inescapable, they're usually fast, and they're easy to create. And now, they're in danger of being replaced—that is, if you’re buying what Microsoft has to sell you. Matthew David previews Microsoft's answer to the ubiquitous Flash: a new product whose beta name is "Sparkle."
- Optimizing Your Flash 8 Workspace and Revealing Hidden Features
- Oct 28, 2005
- Looking for the hidden ways to make Flash 8 work for you? Robert Hoekman, Jr. reveals hidden features, demonstrates how to optimize your workspace, and offers tips galore.
- Introducing Macromedia Fireworks 8
- Oct 14, 2005
- Fireworks 8 delivers a huge number of tools that allow you to work at your creative best when editing and manipulating graphics. Matthew David's rapid-fire overview will whet your appetite for this much-improved new version.
- Oct 6, 2005
- Macromedia Studio 8: Making All the Apps Play Nice
- Oct 6, 2005
- Matthew David discusses how the latest version of Macromedia Studio hones the individual Studio apps to help your Web team create a tightly integrated Web site, with a minimum of duplicated effort.
- What's New in Dreamweaver 8?
- Sep 30, 2005
- After years of using Dreamweaver, Matthew David is excited by the latest version's new features for designers and developers. He covers his new favorites in this article.
- Set Up a Basic Web Page in Dreamweaver MX 2004
- Sep 23, 2005
- Never built a Web page before? No problem. Author J. Tarin Towers walks you through creating a simple Web page in Dreamweaver MX 2004 that uses tables, links, images, and text. She also shows you how to adjust properties of a page, including the title and page background, as well as how to select and use colors in Dreamweaver.